Old October 7th 14, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael J. Coslo Michael J. Coslo is offline

Default Not worthy to be an Extra?

On Monday, October 6, 2014 12:27:25 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I don't recommend attempting the extra class exam totally unprepared.
However, if anyone asks, it can be passed without studying.

Of course - if you already know enough to pass it. I studied
for about a week for the test. My issue was that although I was
experienced in electronic matters, my experience was almost
entirely on the computing end, in fact, it was one of the
reasons I got into Ham Radio - I wanted to understand RF.

By the time I was ready for the Extra, I could have barely passed
without studying. I wanted to ace it though.

I think what happens in the testing discussions is some of the
people who have passed end up thinking that everyone
needs to know what they dolready do. It's like my wife
thinks that all hams do all the stuff I do and know, so
she doesn't want to test even at Tech level.

But th eguys I talk to who talk about "They might as
well give the licenses away" might be guilty of it
in the other direction.