Old October 7th 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Frequency accuracy in older RXs

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1410071258330.14980@darkstar. example.org...
But the problem is, most rigs aren't using that kind of design now.

They are single conversion (with a 9MHz or so IF) or an upconversion to
above 30MHz, so the "VFO" covers a large territory, and since most rigs
are now general coverage (since now it's almost as easy as a hamband only
rig), you need a lot more low pass filters. You're right, if this was in
the old days, with a fixed range VFO, a low pass filter would be fine,
since only one would be needed.

For new designs I am sure there are beter ways of doing things.
I was just throwing out the low pass filter sort of thing as someone was
going to start with an oscillator that put out square waves. I was just
thinking of an easy way to get from the square wave output to a sine wave
and eliminate the harmonics that may or may not cause problems.

As I said, I don't even know if it is practical to do that at RF. I don't
have a way to generate square waves at RF, but did play around with a couple
of audio filters I had with a scope and function generator. I would thing
it would work the same at RF as it does at AF if the stray components can be
managed.

Very interisting to me. I decided to play for a while in my shop. The
filter with coils in it would take out the harmonics and give a very good
sine wave output. I had a low pass filter designed to use on a frequency
counter or scope with a cut off of 5 KHz. It did a poor job of rounding
off the square wave, but of all things when I switched the function
generator to a triangle wave it did a good job of making a sine wave out of
the signal. I thought the triangle wave had even harmonics in it, but found
out it actually has odd harmonics but they decrease with the square of the
order instead of just a simple 1/N. That ment a lot less harmonic content
to filter out. It was a long time ago that I played with the equations for
the various waveforms that can be made out of a bunch of sine waves added
together. A good memory refresher.

---