Old October 9th 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Radiation from antennae - a new philosophy

On 10/9/2014 1:19 AM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/8/2014 9:06 PM, rickman wrote:
On 10/8/2014 7:14 PM,
wrote:
gareth wrote:
wrote in message
gareth wrote:
wrote in message

All electromagnetic radiation is photons, no matter what generated
the
photons, be it a burning match or current in a conductor.

By just a naming convention, or by detectable individual wave packets?

By over 100 years of research into the nature of electromagnetic
radiation.

Were I to transmit a single unmodulated carrier at 3.6MHZ, how many
of your
photons
per second would be generated, and, as each photon is a packet with
amplitude
rise and fall times, why isn't the extra bandwidth due to that AM
detectable?

Likely because your assumptions and questions are babble.

Start with "each photon is a packet with amplitude rise and fall times".

They are not.

Each photon has an energy E=hf, where f is frequency and h is Planck's
constant.

No packets, no rise and fall times.

That's not perfectly correct. A photon may not be a wave packet, but it
is a particle with mass and size which could be interpreted as having
rise and fall times. However... they are all identical and any one
photon could not be modulated.

Rick,

While agree with your statement, I have another problem with physics as
a whole. Einstein proved that it would take an infinite amount of
energy to accelerate ANY mass to the speed of light. However, photons
seem to have mass and travel at the speed of light. My knowledge of
physics does not allow me to resolve this contradiction.

Start he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity

I've read much more than a simple Wikipedia article. And the only thing
I can come up with is that physicists can't explain the why either -
just that it's the way the math works out.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address