Old October 10th 14, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default Radiation from antennae - a new philosophy

On 10/9/2014 10:57 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/9/2014 10:40 PM, rickman wrote:
On 10/9/2014 9:17 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/9/2014 7:10 PM, rickman wrote:
On 10/9/2014 5:14 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/9/2014 1:04 PM, rickman wrote:

The only mass a photon has is that which is equivalent to its
energy, E
= mc^2.

I understand it has no rest math. But where does the mass come from?
There has to be mass to exert pressure. Does the mass just appear from
nowhere? I doubt it...

Another question... when subatomic particles are created in pairs from
energy, where does the mass come from?

I have no idea - which is why I'm asking these questions.

Maybe you need to learn more about mass in general, including rest
mass... a quote from wikipedia page on the Higgs Boson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_b...entific_impact

"about 99% of the mass of baryons (composite particles such as the
proton and neutron) is due instead to the kinetic energy of quarks and
to the energies of (massless) gluons of the strong interaction inside
the baryons."

Photons are not alone nor especially unique.

Yes, I'm familiar with baryons, the Higgs Boson, fermions, quarks and
the like. But the quote from Wikipedia is not proven and is far from
universally accepted. Many more physicists believe that mass comes from
the interaction of subatomic particles with the Higgs field; no Higgs
field, no mass. But they don't understand the details yet.

Really - Wikipedia is NOT a good resource for this type of thing.

Yes, it is far from perfect... but I think you misunderstand the issue
with mass more than Wikipedia is wrong. The nice thing about Wikipedia
is that it does provide references so you can follow the information
back to the source... and yes, I have seen Wiki articles twist the
information and in once case claimed the opposite of what the reference
said. But in this case Wikipedia is not wrong...

The Higgs field gives rise to the mass of elementary particles, most of
them anyway. But the proton and neutron are not elementary particles...
So don't compare apples and oranges. Do you get your mass from the
Higgs field? I get mine from eating too much popcorn.

From an interesting but long discussion of some of the issues...

http://profmattstrassler.com/article...higgs-faq-2-0/

"Other things get their masses from sources other than the Higgs
particle. The majority of the mass of an atom is its nucleus, not its
lightweight electrons on the outside. And nuclei are made from protons
and neutrons — bags of imprisoned or “confined” quarks, antiquarks and
gluons. These quarks, antiquarks and gluons go roaring around inside
their little prison at very high speeds, and the masses of the proton
and neutron are as much due to those energies, and to the energy that is
needed to trap the quarks etc. inside the bag, as it is due to the
masses of the quarks and antiquarks contained within the bag. So the
proton’s and neutron’s masses do not come predominantly from the Higgs
field."

So even much of the "rest mass" of neutrons and protons comes from the
relativistic mass of the elementary particles comprising these
particles. Don't get all bent out about photons having relativistic
mass and not rest mass. Mass happens...

--

Rick