Old July 31st 03, 09:52 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

A completely different issue I had and/or have is not the speed as much as
the audio pitch of the code being sent. It's hard as hell to get a VE team
to adjust the pitch/tone sound at all if they even bother to send with a
key. Hell, a couple of them are only using premade CD's, which are played a
fixed rate and since most VE's are not frivolous (at all), they usually only
have a "basic" cd player, and would not have equipment capable of code at a
lower tone but keeping the same speed.

I say this because my hearing loss makes me hear "normally" sent code at its
"proper" pitch rate as one long solid tone, as if you placed a finger on a
straight key and never lifted up at all while sending. In other words, if
there was a 2 minute QSO in morse code being sent at its "normal" pitch, it
sounds like a 2 minute long T to me. If I lower the frequency of the tone
of the amount of at least 200-250hz less, to where it starts becoming a more
rich, bass(y) sounding tone, then I can distinguish the difference between a
dit and a dah.

On a lighter note, I think my ex-wife had a voice in the same range as being
sent at most VE sessions...... she said I never listened to her!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Don't email. TELEPHONE them. Ask them what is the character speed and

what
is the overall word speed. They can have the character speed at 13 (or
faster), but the spacing must be adjusted to end up at 5wpm overall. It

is
not proper test procedure to have the test at an actual 13wpm when it is
supposed to be 5wpm.

Talk to the VE team leader that you will eventually be testing under so

that
you do get the correct character speed for the test that you will be
planning to take.

Finally try to find someone who is knowledgeable in correct training

methods
to "Elmer" you if at all possible.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE