Old October 12th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

John S wrote in :

On 10/12/2014 11:18 AM, Lostgallifreyan wrote:
John S wrote in :

Something else might be interesting; include the effects of sag
(centenary) in a wire antenna.

Agreed. I was thinking about that possibility last night. Meaning
'catenary', perhaps? As in 'hanging chain'? I doubt any longwire would
lack this, so modelling it would be useful.

This is an interesting modeling situation. After you get acquainted with
your modeling software of choice, let's work on it to see what
differences there are. We can compare notes, if you like. Sound like
fun? If so, let's start another thread, yes?

I won't be up to speed that fast, but once I have something that doesn't look
like it will waste people's time I'll have a go. I did look up catenary
curves some time back for some forgotten purpose (actually, I think is was
to do with loads on lengthy beams in a PV installation) so I have some idea
where to start looking, maybe. I'm assuming that the pysical properties would
relate to the electrical ones in some way, but it's not something I've
thought through.