Old October 12th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default RFD for new UK amateur radio group

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

Hello .misc, .antenna and .homebrew! I've been watching with a degree of
sadness these last few days as Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has poured buckets
of idiocy into .antenna. He's a notorious and pernicious troll with going
on for a two decade history of troublemaking on Usenet, primarily in
uk.radio.amateur but there have been many groups that he's upset over the
years, all in the archives.

Whatever he does in the UK newsgroup, we don't see it unless there is
crossposting. He posts, and half the replies are about his trolling
(which may or may not exist), and the only reason we see that junk is
because he's crossposting.

We were having a fine technical discussion in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
when you saw fit to cross-post this, and so instead of that technical
discussion, suddenly the posts are about this. You've just made a mess of
the newsgroup, the thing you claim to want to fix.

We don't want a moderated newsgroup. rec.radio.amateur.moderated proves
that, it's existed for some years now, yet isn't seeing much real traffic.
A handful of posts each month, plus a lot of read only posts that belong
elsewhere, if they belong in newsgroups at all. The same people who felt
such a need for a moderated newsgroup are the same people who don't
participate, but they are also the same people spewing the hierarchy with
read only messages. So now the few non-read only messages in .moderated
are foolish replies to blog postings and bulletins, as if the original
poster is actually participating in the newsgroup.

If we so badly wanted a moderated newsgroup, then .moderated would be a
success, lots of traffic and healthy traffic. But that's never been the
case. IN the early days there was a trickle of messages there, and it's
slowed down since.

So don't think that a moderated newsgroup will save the day. It hasn't.

Michael