Old October 12th 14, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

On 10/12/2014 1:21 PM, wrote:
John S wrote:
On 10/11/2014 12:51 PM,
wrote:
John S wrote:

snip

OK, so lets analyze my results:

Conditions are free space, wire is #14 gauge but may have zero ohms
where noted. The antenna is a dipole with the source connected at the
center, F=7MHz. I'm using EZNEC with a source of 1 watt. Antenna
resonance plays no part in this. # segments = 99 unless otherwise noted.

Lambda Wire Rin Gavg(dbi) Gmax(dbi) Efficiency

0.5 zero 80 0 2.16 100%
0.5 #14 73.6 -.09 2.08 98%

0.25 zero 13.2 0 1.85 100%
0.25 #14 13.7 -.17 1.69 96%

0.125 zero 3 0 1.78 100%
0.125 #14 3.25 -.33 1.45 93%

0.05 zero .464 0 1.76 100%
0.05 #14 .556 -.78 0.98 83%

Rin is the terminal resistance only. Gave is the average gain integrated
over the pattern, Gmax is the highest gain detected.

Unless I have done something wrong, I see that a dipole that is .05
wavelengths long is within 20% of being as efficient as a half-wave
dipole. Even including wire resistance.

I invite discussion in any case.

The diameter of #14 solid wire is 0.0641"; how about a line for #8, which
is 0.1285"?

0.05 #8 0.515 -.41 1.36 91.1%

Free space, no ground loss.

So it seems that a .05 lamda dipole is only about 7% less efficient than
a full size dipole wit suitable wire...

So much for "short antennas are not efficient".

(snip extraneous input)

Yes, Jim, that is so. In fact, that was the hidden reason for the
exercise. I was hoping this would provide an example to let others know
that it is not the antenna length that is the problem as Gareth
proposed. I was hoping that others would take the investigation into
their own hands as a result.

I noted that you tried to foul me up with the unreasonable wire size.
EZNEC has a nice warning feature to take care of it.