Old October 12th 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

wrote in :

I hope you have the equations for the sag and tension on the wire at hand
and run through them first.

Not until I try it. First attempt was only 50 metres, and it was so
straight I can't extropolate. While modelling can avoid mistakes, I think in
this case an empirical test will eliminate a lot of modelling of situations I
can never acheive anyway. I'm thinking the half-mile is doable, but I may
find that's just because it's a relatively easy length on a habitual run
during a 6.5 mile course. I'm pretty certain that any wind will wreak a lot
more havoc that gravity will, too.