Old October 12th 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
Lostgallifreyan wrote in
:

Actually to be fair, with ,y longwire tests I'll likely be using very thin
strong stainless wire and pulling it tight enough to reduce my need to
worry
about it much. STill interesting though, I've seen heavy-looking HF
antennas
strung over the apex of a roof in a valley near here, and that had a
pronounced sag that may or may not have been bothersome to whoever owned
it.

Looking at a chart in an old ARRL antenna handbook gives a rough estiment of
a length of 500 feet and a tension of 400 pounds a wire of around 12 to 14
gauge will drop about 10 feet if Idid it right.

---