Old October 12th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RF Collins RF Collins is offline

Default Question for DX Ace

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

Does PBS Xinjiang still use "the east is red" for an interval signal?
Pretty sure I heard it yesterday at 2300 UTC on 7260 kHz in the
background.

Not really sure. Seems as though I've heard it in the past few years
though on some broadcast. It certainly was a regular on the Radio
Peking broadcasts many decades ago when everyone had an interval
signal, and digital readouts were a rarity, everyone needed those
interval signals to find what station they were looking for.

It kind of surprised me when I heard it since it has been a few years.

Maybe it made a comeback with the recent unrest in Xinjiang (first part of
August).

I was using 7260 kHz to get away from the CRI transmitter (Xian) on 7220
kHz, but you can't escape. Since Sound of Hope started using 40 meters for
transmissions, it has been hell. SOH was recently around 7280 kHz. Now
there is a CRI broadcast there (with plenty of splatter) right next to one
of my nets on 7285 kHz. Sorry for complaints.

15 meters is in goood shape (2030Z). Just worked St.Helena Is. Got a 57
with 100 watts.

Jim (MI)