Old October 13th 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Barry OGrady[_3_] Barry OGrady[_3_] is offline

Default Running Swan at low power

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 07:19:17 -0700 (PDT), HM Dickson
wrote:

I have an old 500 Swan that has been sitting a while. Pulled it out
and find it blowing fuses. I can probably get it back up with a cap
job and resistors but have no idea about the tubes. Were working 10
years ago when it was parked.

My question though is how to use this old piece QRP. Can I disable
the finals and somehow run off the driver? What circuits to set
output impediance and filter? What changes in tuning up? What about
in CW mode?

I know very few would consider using a boat anchor for QRP but I need
watching anyway I love the feel of the knobs and the tube audio.

If you got any thoughts, let me know.

Generally amateur radio operators don't have thoughts, but one option
used by many is to put in a stronger fuse.

I have a Yaesu FTDX-400 which ended up tripping a circuit breaker in
a power board. The fuse did not blow because it has been replaced
by one with a much higher rating.

73 AE4YW Mitch

10-4 on that.

--
Biologists agree that descent with modification is one of the most reliably
established facts in science. Discoveries in evolutionary biology have made