Old October 17th 14, 06:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] brian@b-howie.demon.co.uk is offline

Default The catenary effect

On Monday, 13 October 2014 18:14:13 UTC+1, John S wrote:
Jim is right. There is almost no difference in a V and a catenary as far

as the antenna is concerned.

It would really wind up being an exercise of "can we really model a

catenary?"

If anyone disagrees, we will do it. (NOTE: I said "we", not just me)

I did a simple sagging 40m dipole on MMANA using the wire editor with 9 wires. I had a 3m sag in
the middle . I ran the optimiser for best match. The impedance worked out at 69 ohm and the gain
was 2.06dBi. The model reported a lobe elevation of about 8 degrees. There was a vertically
polarised component at 90 degrees to the horizontal lobe at -15dBi.

You'd expect something like this to happen since there is part of the antenna in the vertical plane.

Brian GM4DIJ