Old October 18th 14, 11:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Percy Picacity Percy Picacity is offline

Default Radiation from antennae - a new philosophy

On 2014-10-17 17:50:55 +0000, gareth said:

something unrelated to the OP

Can I go back to your original question, and perhaps recast it in a way
that is more useful for discussion?

I think we have to accept that once you can get energy *into* a small
antenna it radiates just as well as a large one, apart from resistive
losses which can be made fairly small with suitable materials.

A different but equally interesting question: is there any intuitive,
or simple mathematical, way of explaining why an electrically short
antenna couples into free space in such a way that its radiation
resistance is very low compared with a resonant antenna, and highly
reactive? Because this property is what makes short antennas hard to
use in practice. And must result from some property of its radiation
behaviour, conceivably related to your original postulate which I am
afraid I do not have the maths to understand.

--

Percy Picacity