Old October 18th 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Unkinking Coax

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:28:26 -0600, Irv Finkleman VE6BP
wrote:

I have a length of rg-58/u which was rolled up and when unrolled has
revealed some kinks. Has anyone any idea on how to smooth things out
again. It shows good on my analyzer, and I'm not worried about a bit
of migration which may have taken place. A bit of loss is of no real
concern to me. Someone suggested letting it rest in a tub of hot water
for a while, but that is the only suggestion so far.

As long as the kinks are only in the outer jacket, I wouldn't worry
about it. However, if it appears that the braid is also kinked or
wrinkled, you might be right about the center wire migration. If you
have a TDR (time domain reflectometer), it will show an impedance bump
where the center wire has moved. Such cold flow tends to happen with
RG-58a/u solid center conductor cable and low loss foam dielectric.
I've only seen it once and you have to roll it into a really small
tight coil before that will happen. It also requires rigidly attached
coax connectors to produce migration. (Open coax ends just cause the
center wire to telescope in and out).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D