Old October 19th 14, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Unkinking Coax - FINAL RESULTS ARE IN!

"Irv Finkleman VE6BP" wrote in message

Irv Finkleman VE6BP wrote:
I have a length of rg-58/u which was rolled up and when unrolled has
revealed some kinks. Has anyone any idea on how to smooth things out
again. It shows good on my analyzer, and I'm not worried about a bit
of migration which may have taken place. A bit of loss is of no real
concern to me. Someone suggested letting it rest in a tub of hot water
for a while, but that is the only suggestion so far.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Irv VE6BP

OK guys, thanks for the input.
First a couple comments -- my 'yard' is a 6x10 foot third floor deck and
the yard is not accessible. I could not use the deck only because it
faces south and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky leaves
different and changing portions in the shade.

I wasn't worried about a leaking coax as it looked quite new, and
tested good on my MFK-259 Analyzer.

I decided that all factors considered I would give it a good soaking
in hot water in the sink, changed frequently to keep it hot. The
cable ends were kept out of the water.

I kept the water hot for 6 hours or so, and the cable came out feeling
quite supple and appearing kink free. It lay on the floor like wert
spaghetti, and it still tests good on the analyzer.

It's only a short length -- maybe 25 ft with PL-259s on the end, and
it was given to me free, so could easily have gone and bought some,
but ham radio is ham radio, and free coax with fittings is always
welcome. Now I can store it away properly coiled so that if I ever
do need it, it won't be a problem. Murphy (of Murphy's Laws), who lives
with me, tells me I'll never need it again in 100 years!

I guess it it had been an RG-8 variety, I would have had to use the
bathtub!

Thanks again all, it was an interesting experiment.

Irv VE6BP

Glad it worked out for you Irv. And I hope you are getting your small space
antennas up and effective.

Wayne
W5GIE/6