Old October 26th 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Myths and Legends of Antennae

Lostgallifreyan wrote:
wrote in :

A fair antenna is you have a bunch of telephone poles and a huge piece
of empty ground.

Ok, that rules me out right there. I can maybe manage a long wire laid out
temporarily, but for large scale that's about it for me.

Decades ago I was affiliated with an Army MARS station that had inherited
a WWII rhombic array of 4 antennas for 360 coverage that worked fairly
well from about 5 MHz and up.

The thing seemed to be a lightning magenet during thunderstorm season
and sections of the wire that had been vaporized required regular
replacement.

Eventually the Army decided it has better use for the nearly square
kilometer of land the thing took up and replaced it with a log-periodic.

The log-periodic was several dB better, both transmit and receive, in
part because there was no longer the 50% termination resistor loss.

--
Jim Pennino