Old October 27th 14, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Myths and Legends of Antennae

wrote in :

Downside: A high gain antenna can be quite large, require a lot of
expensive aluminum, be quite heavy and like any beam needs a tower
and a rotor.

Since it is truely frequency independant, for certain uses, like military
that could be operating on any frequency, it is an almost ideal solution.

It does sound like it might be viable for portable use, carried in a backpack
to a hilltop. Probably not so good in my back yard though. Too many
buildings, too many things out there already, 12 solar panels on various
mounts, one tall whip, an FM dipole. I can maybe get an extra longwire out
there but that's about it now.