Old October 27th 14, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Myths and Legends of Antennae

Lostgallifreyan wrote:
wrote in news
The total number of elements and the boom length effect both the gain and
"flatness" of the SWR over the frequency range.

I can sort of see why the military would like it. Given their resources, it
could be used to rapidly find direction and frequency for many transmissions,
one after another, with no immediate need to co-ordinate a triangulation
effort. Though I suspect that locating sources isn't their primary reason for
using one.

Correct; they are used because the military is not constrained to discreet
bands like hams and it is much simpler to erect one antenna and tower
to cover a wide frequency range, though HF global comm is less and less
used by the military these days as everything is going encrypted space based.

Short range tactical comm still uses a lot of HF, but the antennas there
are usually whips with autotuners at the base.

--
Jim Pennino