Old October 29th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default [KB6NU] CW Geeks Guide to Having Fun With Morse Code: Choosing a key

Michael Black wrote in
xample.org:

They are the source
of most of the traffic in these newsgroups, and likely drives realy
content out. People look in, don't see any real posts, and don't bother.

Usenet is a strange town. When in a strange town the first thing I do is head
for a group of people in a safe public space who look like they don't mind
the approach of a stranger. SHich sort of puts moderated groups into
perspective, because they're about as useful as a shut-in pub that has
already closed its doors. To a stranger, it is NOT a refuge, but a source of
risk that is fortunately oblivious to the stranger passing by outside.

A few spam posts are less worrying. It might look like an empty street with
the odd newspaper blowing past, but at least it looks like it might lead
somewhere better. Besides, if the town really is strange and new, even an
old newspaper lost and uncared for might be a very useful bit of info to the
stranger.

Being very recently arrived, I thought that perspective might be useful.