Old October 29th 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default KATA Arcata When Tiny Stations Did GREAT Top 40!

"Channel Jumper" wrote

Unless someone didn't know what they were doing - 1000 watts - daylight
- is enough power to cover about 30+ miles..
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

First, I got my First Phone at age 14, one of the youngest people ever to do
so. In fact, when I went to the FCC to take the exam, the clerk thought I
was the son of someone who was there to take the exam.

Second, 1340 is what was called a "graveyard channel", one of 6 AM channels
set aside purely for local use. Under terms of its license it's only
protected from interference in its immediate market area. The graveyard
channels are 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450, and 1590. There are hundreds of
stations on those channels, making most stations using them buried in much
just a few miles out of town.

Third, whether or not KATA could carry 30 miles is irrelevant here because
the entire MARKET within 30 miles isn't much more than about 30,000 people.
The AMAZING MIRACLE of KATA was that they were able to put out a
professional big-city sound with what must have been a tiny cash flow.

Fourth, even if KATA was running 50kw people tend to listen and buy only in
their local marketplace. Take the case of KGO, a 50kw signal that reaches
clearly from Canada to Mexico. Their money base is STILL local SF Bay Area.

---