Old August 11th 03, 10:43 PM
Dan/W4NTI

I haven't traveled much in years, at least by air. But considering all
this 'security' stuff I am glad they are that picky.

If you consider things. A ham radio HT could be used as a terroristic
device. Without changing a thing. They need to communicate you know.

Dan/W4NTI

"Greg Courville" wrote in message
I have had BAD experiences with airport security...
I once brought along a couple of battery cables in my computer bag, and

they
stopped me, and swabbed my shoes, my computer, my computer bag, and every
item in it for explosives! Then they said that my battery cables (had a

bit
of duct tape on them) were a "makeshift device" and weren't allowed on the
plane, and therefore, for some reason I had to put the WHOLE BAG in the
checked luggage. They wouldn't let me just get rid of the cables. Trust

me,
anything that looks at all modified or homebrewed will set them off.

Unless
you don't mind taking your shoes off and waiting for 20 minutes, be

careful
what you try to bring through security!

-Greg

"TooManyRadios" wrote in message
In article , AB7RU
writes:

am flying out tomorrow on a vactiontion and want to take along my
FT-50 ... I had repacked the battery case on it with new AA nimh cells
and just have it taped back together. I am wondering if security might
wonder why its taped up.

Depends. If you're a white guy, you will likely be detained and

questioned.
If you "appear to be of Arab descent", they won't dare bother you...lest

you
hire an ACLU lawyer and file suit for "racial profiling."