Old November 5th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
rickman rickman is offline

Default Very Low Power Preamp

On 11/4/2014 8:29 PM, wrote:
rickman wrote:
I am working on a project for receiving a very narrow bandwidth signal
at 60 kHz. One of the design goals is to keep the power consumption to
an absolute minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to run a
pre-amplifier on less than 100 uW. So far I have found nothing. Any
suggestions?

Specifying the output, impedance, and degree of linearlity required
might get a meaningful response.

The Maxim MAX480 opamp will run from a single supply down to 1.6V with
a supply current of less tha 20 uA.

Most of the micropower opamps I've seen run in the range of 30 to 50 uW
quiescent which doesn't leave a lot for output.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the
output and impedance. The input would be high impedance and the output
low driving another high impedance input. I can design the circuit
around the amp, I just can't find anything very low power. The main
problem seems to be getting enough gain-bandwidth product to actually
amplify the signal.

The part you suggest has a number of problems. One is that it is not
recommended for new designs. The other is that it only has a gain
bandwidth product of 20 kHz.

--

Rick