Old November 7th 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Write Off

wrote in
:

I don't know what it is that provokes Gmailers to reply to posts so old
it's often a crapshoot if the OP is still alive or not, much less still
active. :/

I plead guilty, though only a very few times. Sometimes when I'm on my own
with something and I find a rare old post that was after a similar thing, and
if I get lucky and pleased enough with my own answer I'll post it regardless
of age of the original, purely because it might have saved me some time if it
had already been there, and if I was lost in some archive backwater, someone
else might be, sometime, passing the same way. That huge retention is useful,
I know if I lose my saved posts from here, I can likely search my own handle
(is one reason it's chosen, it's likely unique) and the group name, and very
rapidly find what I lost.

I could use Google, but I just want to avoid them a bit. Can't really,
searches and all, but that's the point, they're so overwhelmingly present,
they don't need my encouragement, and the German firm that Percy and BErnie
posted about looks like a really good shot. In passing, I'll mention I just
got news back from Demon.net, and they quit doing web hosting for new
customers, and judnign by the quality of that German news.individual.net
recommendation, I'm hoping someone here knows a really good UK web host (got
to be on UK soil, if I sell stuff it realy pays for the source of it to be
under UK law directly, in case of trouble).

You're likely right about money as basis for usenet cuts, I just thought it
odd that two ISP's do it within weeks at a time when the govt is full of fire
and thunder about sweeping rights it grants GCHQ to spy on us all on what
amounts to thought police suspicions (Theresa May, Home Office minister,
overtly states she wantsa far more sweeping powers to spy on the lot of us at
random and at will, and the nation is in no serious mood to resist the Tories
so it will probably happen). I'm not going to assume this lot are innocent
till proven guilty while they perist in treating us as if we're guilty until
proven innocent!

I'd like to cancel the extras as you did, but BT won't let me. The only
thing I can do is jump ship. The UK is full of take-it-or-leave-it deals like
this, because each firm assumes that all the rest will offer nothign better
anyway. Some do though, it's just hard to find them. Several seem to be ok
with raw net access, not so hot for web hosting. That used to be hard to
avoid! Now I can't find anything good, quiet, economical. I may have to get
it separately, but that's NEVER economical.. On the other hand, I could get a
steady web host, then jump ship every 12 months for net access to use the
really cheap deals, but I don't want to, having a new modem every 12 months
seems like a recipe for trouble every year..

I don't mind paying extra if I find a firm who isn't going to screw me after
the first 12 months. For example, Virgin Media bought the first ISP I used,
servie fell through the floor, fast, I felt like a cow caught in the back of
a truck they bought! YEARS later, they are still sending me expensive
merchandising twice a month, no doubt at huge expense, paid for by all the
othe poor sods who remain captive. A small business class ISP in the UK might
be ideal, if they keep it simple and high quality. I just don't know if such
a deal even exists in thsi broken age of WEB2.