Old November 8th 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Write Off

rickman wrote in :

On 11/7/2014 10:26 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I've been on eternal-september for years - since before they were
eternal-september (so long ago I've forgotten what their previous name
was - but then I'm old ) and never had a problem with them.

Sure, they go down occasionally (who doesn't?), but not often and not
for too long of a time. The only problem I've had with them recently
is about a week ago I couldn't access them because they were so busy
(they do limit connections to keep from overloading the server). But
once again, that's very seldom. It was just before I went to bed, and
when I tried in the morning the connection was fine. Just a spike when
I wanted in.

I use eternal-september and I find they have trouble *very*
infrequently. The event a couple of weeks ago was not just being
overloaded. Their servers were still up, but the traffic dropped to
half it's usual level. They may have lost a portion of their servers or
they may have been under attack.

All in all I find them to be very workable.

Thanks both of you, I'll look at them too, it sounds like I could easily live
with any bother of that small magnitude. BT had funny habits even while they
did have Usenet, the biggest being that sometimes I'd see 'Autorisation
Required'. First time, that was a noodle-baker. It happens if they change the
IP (is dynamic) and I end up with one from a block that is not granted usenet
access with Giganews, who BT had contract with. Usually, disconnect - wait -
reconnect works, if that fails, restart hub.