Old November 10th 14, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Write Off

Percy Picacity wrote in
:

Have you considered releasing it as open source software under the GPL?
At least some people would have an interest in making sure any
commercial exploitation gave back its innovations to the community,
even if not wholly successfully.

Yes. Likely under the MIT type license. Same sort that OpenBSD uses. When
I release it (I almost certainly will, before I die), I want it to be done in
a way than cannot be foced back into private hands, especially at my expense.
While I develop it, I want to keep control, so it is more complete than most
things that ever reach public domain this way, but this is about as good a
way as I have found, not least because there are people with actual money (a
luxury I do not have, finding it hard to raise an extra 200 quid for tools)
to help protect something;s tenure in public domain once someone has been
willing to hand over all their hard work to those same people. Also, it may
be one of the best ways to keep it alive after I can't do it anymore.

The only other two contenders I'm aware of, Hexter, and another one written
for Android machines, are both open source. The only reason I didn't go that
way already is that I want to make my own mark on things as best I can,
otherwise I would have very little to offer anyway.