Old November 10th 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Write Off

(David Platt) wrote in newshg7jb-
:

An important question is this: do you want to earn money from it, or
do you want to *prevent* other people from earning money from it?

Which I asnwered, emphatically. Easily lost by now, perhaps..
I don't mind other people making money from their work using mine to help do
it. I just don't want them claiming it as their own, and denying ME the right
to earn from my own work! Especially if they want to sit back in their
millions, creating nothing while preening themselves on yet another cruel
aquisition at yet another person's hard earned expense. I will not lift a
finger to help that kind of thing. Dying alone knowing what I have created is
an easier thing to bear. If no part of the world will help me, then no part
of the world will share the work.

If you want to do the latter, "patent" and "trade secret" are the only
ways I know of.

If the former, you can publish the idea (establishing a "prior art"
barrier against somebody else trying to patent the same idea), and
then go ahead and sell implementations of that idea under whatever
terms you desire.

You can always *copyright* your *specific* implementations (the actual
code, circuit schematics, and so forth). That's a whole type of
protection which is independent of patents, since it protects specific
examples rather than the underlying idea.

Absolutely, I'll be doing that anyway. I suspect that it won't be enough, but
it will at least lock down the form it had at some specific time. The problem
is that it's a form of self-publication, I imagine not as solid as a third-
party publication that has already got some public respect. I'm not sure what
'weight' of publication carries enough authority to give good protection
against furture predation.