Old November 11th 14, 11:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Write Off

(David Platt) wrote in news:2l88jb-
:

Question FITF1058: For Web references, does the USPTO use archive.org
(aka, "The Wayback Machine") to get the actual publication date rather
than printout date of the Web reference?

Yes, examiners The Wayback as a source of information to determine
when a Web reference was first made available to the public.

This is interesting, for two reasons: It suggests that self-publication on a
personal web site is adequately public for official record (past sites of
mine turned up in that archive). Given the number of web archives of Usenet,
even comments I have made here might help me sometime, though not a lot, I
haven't said enough detail about the innards of my phasemod synthesier to
mean much here.

Second reason is that if the Wayback Machine is a serious resource for the
USPTO, it may imply that it's really in for the long haul. I have always had
some doubts about that based on that old 'downloading the internet' joke.
But I guess they found a way to cope, to manage what they kept, vs what they
did not.

I won't rely on this alone to establish my own prior art though...