Old November 14th 14, 03:21 AM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

But most people do not have access to tower that can get their dipole antenna 100' off the ground for 75 meters!

The
G5RV was designed to work on 20 meters.
The ladder line is the matching network.
It does not perform well on 10 or 40 meters.

That usually has something to do with a cut dipole not working well on anything that is the first harmonic.

A portion of this planet is inhabited by morons that does not know that and that picks their antenna by price rather than by performance!

My inverted V - 80M off center fed dipole antenna is only 30' off the ground in the middle and maybe 20' off the ground on the ends.
It is fed with about 60' of LMR 400 and I can converse with anyone that I can hear.

Most of the people I hear are using 600 - 1200 watt amplifiers and some other type of dipole antenna, and although their signal is louder than mine, my audio is much cleaner then theirs!

To me - amplifiers are for CB'rs that are hard of hearing and thinks that you cannot carry on a conversation unless you are 20/9!

When I become a O&O - the first thing I am going to do is send each and every one of those people a pink slip and have them explain why they use more power than necessary.

I would keep on sending them pink slips until they either get the message - that the reason for the signal report is so you can adjust your power to the minimum amount necessary to carry on the conversation, or until the ARRL / FCC gets tired of it and sends them a greetings to come and see them and explain why they can't follow the rules!

As far as these people bragging about how they pick on those that are on a G5RV - I would gladly send them pink slips also - until they reduce their power or answer for their actions in front of a FCC examiner...

I would love to see how many of these people could still pass a General Class Examination and how many of them bought their license and will let it drop - if they are asked to retest...
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...