Old November 14th 14, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default It is a truism

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/14/2014 3:55 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

You ignore the fact this is an idealized environment. That is NEVER the
case in a real installation.

You ignore the fact this is modeled on an AVERAGE environment.

But you claim it is an absolute fact that an 80 meter antenna at less
than 100' is crap. This is solid proof.

I never made any such claim nor did I say "an 80 meter antenna at less
than 100' is crap".

I posted the NUMBERS for an AVERAGE situation.

If you wish to disucss "crap", then first define "crap" in numbers.

I have WAS on 75 SSB (from Iowa) with an inverted Vee. The top was only
50' in the air. And late at night in the wintertime I had pretty solid
communications over much of the continental U.S. (back in the late 70's
and early 80's).

Big whoop.

The post wasn't about how many QSL cards have been collected, it was
about antenna patterns.

And I wouldn't have gotten that coverage with an antenna that was "crap".

Again, I never said anything was "crap"; that is your word and has no
meaning until defined.

Antennas NEVER work "as predicted" - and anyone who claims they do does
not understand antenna operation.

Any prediction is as good as the model used to make the prediction.

If one can not build a model that is accurate to about two digit accuracy,
then they shouldn't be trying to build models.

Then tell my why my antenna regularly had a solid signal if it was
"crap"? And BTW - I suspect the vast majority of hams on 80 meters have
antennas much lower than your claimed 100' - yet they get out quite well.

You really do not undertand things like "optimal", do you?

And once again, I never said anything was "crap"; that is your word and
has no meaning until defined.

So much for your "crap". Theory is fine - but only as far as you can
apply it to the real world.

Most people do not have a problem with applying theory to the real
world, but apparently you do. I couldn't care less.

--
Jim Pennino