Old November 22nd 14, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
FBMboomer[_2_] FBMboomer[_2_] is offline

Default Dipoles, why height matters

On 11/22/2014 7:21 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

snip

Despite the obvious theory, and over 50 years in amateur radio, I still
find it hard to believe that, in real life, an 80m dipole at (say) 20'
ever really outperforms (at any distance) one at (say) 100'. Given the
choice, I know which one I would choose!

Try reading these:

http://www.qsl.net/wb5ude/nvis/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_ve...idence_skywave
http://www.w0ipl.net/ECom/NVIS/nvis.htm
http://kv5r.com/ham-radio/nvis-antennas/
http://www.arrl.org/nvis

Thanks, I'll certainly have a good read of those articles. But
regardless of what they say, in a typical amateur scenario, I still
reckon that at (say) 300 miles, an 80m signal from a dipole at 100' is
likely to be stronger than one from one at 20' (or even at 60').

Yes,

intuitively it certainly seems like the higher antenna will perform
better. However, I have a chart about loop antennas that rates the 75
meter loop highest in NVIS gain at 25 feet high. I included the pdf file
if it comes through. Mine at 33 feet makes a pretty good NVIS antenna.
Will never know what it would do at 100 feet.