Default Successful indoor antenna at last - I think

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:48:19 AM UTC-8, Charly wrote:
Le 26/11/2014 00:57, a écrit :
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:44:35 PM UTC-8, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
On 11/25/2014 2:05 PM, Ross Archer wrote:
Hey folks,

Thought I'd share the results of some recent successful indoor
antenna experiments. I wanted something to take on the road and
also use when an outdoor antenna isn't convenient or practical.
[...]

Sounds very good. I imagine it would really improve hotel-room
reception over the whip built in to my Eton E1.

Thanks,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

It's interesting when you break the loop circuit (switch located halfway between the ends of the loop) how the signal sometimes goes up (though more often it goes down) but the noise nearly always increases.

There's definitely something about the loop configuration that is rejecting electrical noise.

Hello Ross,

It would be interesting to test it against some commercial products such
as the Sony AN-LP1 loop antenna, Tecsun DE31/Kaito KA31, or the
Wellbrooke used by Drifter (certainly not in the same category).

Can you have this opportunity ?

Good SWL,

Charly

My goal for this "product" is to beat the signal-to-noise performance of any feasible end-fed indoor wire antenna. Next up I'm thinking of a small amplified loop for travel but this one is intended as a substitute for the generally mediocre end-fed wire to whip or antenna jack solution that mostly just boosts noise along with signal. The kind of thing you can throw in a suitcase and if it breaks or gets lost you won't cry. Try that with a Wellbrook loop.

I'm now logging signals on a recent listening test I have never before received with any *indoor* antenna. All India Radio on 9870 (1414), CKZU on 6160 Khz (1423), VOIR Iran on 9800 with strong signal on 1442, and R. Romania Int'l in Russian on 11985 (1453) - tentative ID for that one. I am relatively certain this antenna delivers plenty of signal and at least in the environments I've tried it so far, noise is definitely lower.

TI has some interesting differential video amplifiers that might make a good small travel loop that could be made cheaply. If I start fiddling with this, that's when I'd get a KA31 for comparison.

-- ross