Old November 27th 14, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ross Archer[_3_] Ross Archer[_3_] is offline

Default Successful indoor antenna at last - I think

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:20:08 PM UTC-8, Charly wrote:
Le 26/11/2014 17:53, Ross Archer wrote :
I do have a Sony SW7600G so if I came across an(other) AN-LP1 I could pair them up and try the pair against it. Not in my immediate plans as they're a bit hard to find and not that versatile if I recall -- being tied to Sony radios if memory serves.

No the AN-LP1 is usable with any radio. The only advantage of - some -
Sony radios is they can switch on the antenna module remotely when you
switch on the radio.

I used it with a Sony ICF-100, Tecsun PL-390 and Sangean ATS-909 with
success. My best antenna remains my (grounded) external long wire that
lays along my roof...

Charly

On your roof antenna, is there any kind of transformer/balun between the antenna wire + ground and the lead in wire/coax/ladder line?

There's something tricky about coax you probably know, because you grounded your antenna.

People often think that coax is a magic noise cure because the shield prevents signals from getting into the center conductor from the outside. But there's something very tricky that happens because signals can travel along the OUTSIDE of your shield just like any hunk of metal.
Noise which hops on the outside of your coax in the shack can be conducted outside to the vicinity of your antenna, where the antenna "legitimately" picks it up and sends it down across both the inside of the shield AND your center conductor just like any other signal your antenna picked up. Then the noise you tried so hard to eliminate is still making it into your gear.

So grounding, especially near the antenna, is important. As you knew but for the benefit of anyone who didn't

-- ross AF6BV