Old November 29th 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
rickman rickman is offline

Default High brightness LEDs?

On 11/28/2014 8:31 PM, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors rickman wrote:
On 11/28/2014 7:37 PM,
wrote:

snip

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyristor#Applications

Please be as pedantic as you like. You are wrong.

No, I am not, and I am being precise in my language.

The very article you reference shows that the dimmer works by
controlling the phase angle over which the AC voltage is passed to the
load.

Which is the phase angle, or more properly, the conduction angle of the
contolling device, not the phase angle of the AC source.

If the voltage is turned off for part of the conduction cycle, the
average voltage changes.

This is Electronics 101.

There are *many* LED bulbs which can be dimmed by this standard
type of dimmer.

Yes, there are, but that is irrelevant to how a dimmer works and only
relevant to how the bulb works.

As the reference I provide shows,

What reference?

these bulbs include
smarts to measure this phase angle

You mean conduction angle?

You can't measure a phase angle absent a reference signal of a known
phase.

Again, Electronic 101.

and adjust the bulb brightness
accordingly. I have several in my home.

Whoopee!!

Ok, if you really want to discuss this let me know.

--

Rick