Old December 15th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] my.fifth.email.account@gmail.com is offline

Default Solar Polarity Flipped

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:12:23 AM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:
Heard a few folks talking about the Suns' magnetic poles flipping. This
is nothing new, but signals the end of one, and beginning of yet another
solar cycle.

The story needs a little "editing." We are at the mid-point of Cycle 24; the peak. 11 years from now (not 22 years, as some are reporting), we will reach solar maximum and another flip will happen.
The beginning of each new solar cycle happens when a new reverse polarity sunspot is found. Once you get enough reverse polarity spots over approx. 5.5 years, the poles shift.
The reverse polarity sunspot signaling the end of Cycle 23 and the beginning of Cycle 24 was around January 4th, 2008. Almost seven years, but the cycles are never exactly 11 year cycles either.