Old December 18th 14, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default swr goes up on antenna

On 12/18/2014 2:12 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
I'm not quite sure, but I don't think that it is legal, according to the
Part 97 to transmit a carrier without saying anything.

FCC demands that you must issue your call sign within the period
required after beginning your transmission as he did.

One other thing - as Columbo would say, the SWR meter does not indicate
resonance, it only tells you what the feed line tells it. By changing
the length of the coax you can make the antenna appear as being resonant
or non resonant, even though the antenna may or may not be a perfect 50
ohm load.

Your first sentence could be construed as accurate, depending on
accepted terminology. Your second sentence is inaccurate and is in
conflict with your first sentence.

Instead of taking down the antenna and looking at the components, you
chose to visit this forum and ask us to look into our crystal ball for a
solution to your problem.

I'm thinking you do not have such a crystal ball or you would have used
it show your superiority over everyone else here.

There is no way for sure for us to know how the PL connectors were
installed, the condition of the coax you used for a feed line, the
condition of the coax you used to build the antenna and the soldered
connectors in between each and every junction.

Who is "us"? You have someone sitting beside you? So, you want his
problem handed to you(and the person next to you) on a platter? You
don't really know how to help him, in other words.

ONE guess would be that you have a intermittent loose connection and
today it chose to work and tomorrow when it rains, snows, wind blows
etc, it might not make contact and present a high swr as you put it.

Perhaps, as you put it. Can you suggest some tests that might be helpful
for him? How would you suggest making tests or measurements that you
think could be problems?

Find someone with an antenna analyzer to diagnose your problem for you.

Oh yeah! And learn nothing in the process. You would be standing around
for weeks with an analyzer in your hands waiting for the first sign of
intermittent connections. Then what? Your measurements have already told
you have a problem. Forget that Channel Jumper non-ham idiot. You are
much more capable than him.

Try some more things and report back. Shake your feeder (you know what I
mean) and have someone watch your meter. Look at each end of both the
feeder and antenna to make sure you have no corrupted insulators or
limbs touching. With a digital ohmmeter, you can measure resistance
across the insulators (power off, of course). The idea is: can I find a
way to measure something using what tools I have to give me a lead to
the problem? Keep looking.

The group would love to help, I'm sure. There are lots of gurus here.

Good Luck!