Old December 18th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default swr goes up on antenna

In article ,
Channel Jumper wrote:

I'm not quite sure, but I don't think that it is legal, according to the
Part 97 to transmit a carrier without saying anything.

That is an over-generalization.

Part 97 does allow you to make brief one-way transmissions, for the
purpose of making adjustments to your station. Evaluating SWR or
adjusting a tuner would fall into this category.

The test transmission itself can be pretty much anything, as long as
it does not violate any other terms of Part 97 (i.e. no foul language,
no music, no interference with other stations on the frequency, and
transmitted in a frequency allowed by your license privileges).

A "blank" CW carrier need not violate any of these. And, in fact,
that's just what many modern radios transmit whenever you hit the "tune"
button to adjust the auto-tuner.

You're still required to identify yourself somehow (verbally or CW)
every ten minutes and at the end of the transmission. So, you do have
to "say something", but you don't have to do it as part of the test
carrier transmission itself... just do it when you're done, or after
ten minutes (whichever comes sooner).