Old December 19th 14, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default swr goes up on antenna

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:05:35 PM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:

While some of the RF is converted to heat, I also have a 80 meter dipole at
the same height and at right angles to the OCF antenna. Switching back and
forth between them, the OCF is usually beter. In a few cases the plane 80
mete dipole without a blun will work beter on 80 meters.

Just a few months ago I hung an 18 and 24 MHz dipole about 6 inches bleow
the 80 meter dipole and fed off the same coax. Still the OCF is usually
beter.

The ends of both antennas are about 50 to 60 feet off the ground and not
suported in the middle or at the feed point.

I was thinking in terms of 80m. I suppose it's possible the windom
could be better on some of the other bands. IE: a 80 dipole is not
going to be too good on 40m unless you use a low loss method of feeding
the high Z antenna.