Old December 19th 14, 04:46 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:13:00 PM UTC-6, Channel Jumper wrote:

One other thing - as Columbo would say, the SWR meter does not indicate
resonance, it only tells you what the feed line tells it. By changing
the length of the coax you can make the antenna appear as being resonant
or non resonant, even though the antenna may or may not be a perfect 50
ohm load.

If changing the length of the coax makes large changes in the SWR,
that just shows you have poor decoupling from the antenna to the
feed line. Need a balun or choke, or a better balun or choke than
what is being used.
What you state is largely a CB radio wives tale, due to most of them
not properly decoupling the antenna from the line.

With proper decoupling, the length of the coax will have little
bearing on the SWR seen at the rig. It will be the same as what is
seen at the antenna input, minus any decrease in SWR due to coax
loss. IE: very high coax loss can make anything look good at the rig.
Thank You - you just said what I was trying to imply!
The reason I use the term CB radio is because most people gets their start on the Chicken Band and you don't have to have a lot of intelligence to use something that only takes place on less then 1 MC of bandwidth.
You can practically cut a piece of wire to a resonant length and throw it up in a tree and not even use a piece of coax and talk on all 40 channels on a CB radio without a tuner.

When you become a ham and you want to talk everywhere, you must learn a little about feed lines and antenna's and what works and what does not and what a antenna tuner really does and what it cannot do.

The most hilarious people to me are the ones that uses non resonant antenna's, an amplifier and a antenna tuner and just because their signal is loud and strong they think that they can overcome being resonant.
They end up talking to other LIDS with the same situation and the only people they can hear are those that are the loudest!

I have owned a G5RV that I bought at a hamfest 4 years ago that was only out of the bag once, and even then only for one week.
The first time I tried to operate on 40m with it 20' off the ground, which was as high as I could get it on poles placed on my lot - everyone on 40m told me to get the heck off the G5RV, which was incentive enough to find something better and quit fooling around with junk!

As far as me not being a ham - you have your opinions and I have mine!
10-4 Rodger Dodger, I'm gone!
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...