Old December 19th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default swr goes up on antenna

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

Sorry Jeff, but you just shot yourself in the foot!
If you transmit a dead carrier and you don't say anything you are in
fact violating the Part 97! All you people did was reaffirm what I had
already said. The sad fact is that we give out licenses like lolly pops
at a barber shop with no real instruction involved and once a person
gets a license they automatically think that they don't need to know the
rules or anything that they learned to pass the exam to get the
license.
Had we had real Elmer's when we gave out those licenses, we wouldn't
have 90% of the garbage we hear today on the HF radio!

As far as amplifiers goes, yes I can see someone using a amplifier on
160 meters in the summertime, but the rest of the time, all they are
doing is broadcasting - not really serving any purpose.
If the OP bought a commercial OCFD in the first place - he wouldn't have
these problems.

The people that made comments about their OCFD out performing a center
cut dipole for X frequency doesn't understand how a OCFD works.
If you have a 80m OCFD and you use it on 10 meters, it acts like a 8
wavelength long 10m dipole. You actually get a realization of GAIN from
the OCFD when you use it on 40 or 20 or 10m...

Unfortunately in my book to realize gain you must give up something in
one direction to improve your signal in another. So the term GAIN
really isn't relevant here. Instead of using the term GAIN I should say
improvement, because improvement would be a more relative term.

Yes, I got my ham license out of the same Cracker Jack box that I got my
First Class Phone license out of around 1972.

The OCF I have is home built, but the blaun was bought. It does not take
too much to add about 40 feet of wire to one side and 80 feet to the other
side.

The testing I did was on 80 meters around 2 or 3 in the afteroon. The band
was almost dead, Not a signal within 50 khz of either side of where I was
testing. I did ID and ask if the frequency was in useseveral times during
the test.

Ham radio is partly for testing and experminenting. That is what I was
doing for about the 10 minuits total.

You can look in the books and theory and everything else, but unless you put
up several antennas and compair them in the same area like I have , it is
all just a guess. The ground, trees,and atmosphere are almost impossiable
to modle on a computer for every location. The OCF I was compairing was to
an 80 meter dipole on 80 meters only, not other bands. Without being able
to rotate an anenna, you have to take what you get as far as where the main
lobe of the signal goes.

Most of the ones that complain about amplifiers not being needed are the
ones that don't have one,but wish they did. I seldom run one,but at times
it does make a big differance in making good contacts and not. Same as with
a beam. People with poor antennas say they can work all they can hear,but
they do not realise they are not hearing much either. I don't knock people
with poor antennas. At one time I did not have a very good antenna system
either. Lived on a small lot without any trees and the best I could do was
a dipole up about 20 feet. Still had fun with what I had.

The name is real and the call is KU4PT, unlike some that post on here witout
a real name or showing a call.

---