Old December 27th 03, 06:24 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:59:11 -0700, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

I was thinking (rare - lol), what if I used
rat shack 300 ohm twinlead and made a
J-pole for 160 meters? The antenna would
be sling shotted over several nearby trees
or baloon lifted.

Seems too simple to work, eh? Or am I
missing something here?

Ken KG0WX

Hi Ken,

Try for the balloon method, but be careful to have a long non
conductive tether to the balloon. The high potential at the end of
the antenna can blast it apart - we won't go into the fate of the
Hindenburg (yes, I know the difference between Hydrogen and Helium,
wanna experiment?).

As for laying it across trees, this hi-Z design will be looking at two
near shorts: the tree limbs it lays across, and the proximity of earth
that would be much closer than if held aloft by the balloon.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC