Old September 4th 03, 06:17 PM
Bill Twist

Any particular models? any opinions on what brands are better, or
easier to use/understand?

I like my Icom IC-2100H. I don't think they make them anymore in
favor of a 2100 with a new suffix

The Icom 2100 series has been around for a little while, and enjoys a good
reputation.

I'm somewhat of a unique case myself. I use an old Kenwood
TS-700A 2 meter all-mode (AM, FM, USB, LSB and CW) at home, and an old
Radio Shack HTX-202 handheld for my APRS station. In the car I have a new
HTX-252 2 meter mobile, mainly because I found a new one for only $70. I
used to use a different HTX-202 in the car as a mobile rig, but the
finals blew after about ten years of daily use. I have the
Kenwood TS-520 for HF work, along with a Heathkit HW-99 novice rig that
covers the CW portions of 80, 40, 15, and 10 meters. I also have a
RS HTX-420 dual band handheld, again mainly because it was so damned cheap
on closeout.

Real men use flintlocks... In the rain.