Old September 5th 03, 10:57 PM
Paul Jordan

My first was an OLD Icom 2AT with the thumbwheels to change the frew. I had
to add a tone board to it to use the repeaters.. Now I've got HTX-202's from
Radio Shack and even picked up the Dual Band they put out but took back real
quick because of the cell phone problem.. I've got a few 2 meter mobiles
from Radio Shack as well.. A lot of people slam on Radio Shack stuff but,
it's easy to use and if you get the 3 year warranty and something happens,
just take it back and get it replaced... FREE.. Here in AK there aren't any
ham radio stores so if you have something like a Yaesu or ICOM rig, you have
to send it out and that takes a while.. I've carried my 202 with a j-pole
wire antenna on my snow machine as a soul source of survival communications
and I think they're a great radio for the price..

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message
om...
going to get my tech liscence and want to know what a good cheap radio
would be to get. any suggestions?

TenTec Triton 4
Kenwood TS520
Heath SB100