Old January 18th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Antenna recommendation needed

Ralph Mowery wrote:

snip

There was something in QST magazine a few months ago. They were vertical
loops. I tried them for the 18 and 24 mhz band, but they did not work
nearly as well as my OCF and dipoles cut for those bands. I have a coax
switch so I could switch the antenas in just a fraction of a second.
However the other antennas are at 50 feet high on the ends and the loop was
only about 5 feet off the ground at the bottom.

In my adventures of modeling loops close to ground, I've found them lacking
except in the case of the hentenna; They work very well as close as one
foot to the ground.

A 17M hentanna is going to be a bit tall though.

--
Jim Pennino