Old January 19th 15, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Antenna recommendation needed

wrote in message ...

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message

If you can handle a 30 foot vertical (advertised by MFJ and others) it
might

work well with a good ground.
If the real estate is limited for ground wires, just do the best you can,
and live with it.

If your restrictions do not allow a permanent 30 foot vertical, you might
get permission to tilt it down when not in use.

I have worked a few stations on 20 M that are using a vertical about 43
feet
tall. I think that will exceed the heigth that can be installed at that
location, but if not, something to think about.

If the band is in good shape, it is possiable to work with minimal
antennas.
I have worked many mobile stations with the screwdriver antennas on 20
meters and they had very good signals.

# Hustler

# 4BTV 20 feet, 40, 20, 15, 10 $159
# 5BTV 23 feet, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 $189
# 6BTV 24 feet, 80, 40, 30, 20, 15, 10 $209

# DXEnginerring Tilt Base mounting system: $61 to $106 depending on
# frills.

# How much for a tower, installation, and antennas?

# A 43 foot vertical with an ATU at the base will run 160 to 10 meters.

# There is no city in the US that regulates pounding a piece of pipe in
# the ground and putting a BTV series antenna on top of it in your back
# yard.

# Well, I probably shouldn't say "no" given the flakyness of some
politicians.

My particular "regulations" were not by the city, but by deed restrictions
not specifically listed on the deed, but on a document filed with the city
that was referenced in the deed as being related to water, electric and
sewer easements.

I don't live in that city any more, and my current limitations have to do
with a very small yard, and very short trees.