Old February 3rd 15, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Steve Crow Steve Crow is offline

Default ICOM ic-746 no voice transmitted

On 2/2/15 6:40 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I am new to ham radio. For my first hf radio, I bought a used ic-746. It has
been working on all bands except 2 meters. I can receive on 2 meters but not
transmit. It seems to be transmitting a signal but not transmitting the
voice. I use a ht to determine if the icom is transmitting. I set both radios
to the same frequency. When I push PTT on the icom, the green receive light
on the ht turns on but when I talk into the mic, there is no sound on the ht.
Unlike other bands, the Po and SWR meters on the icom do not move when trying
to transmit on 2 meters. The power supply meter moves a little when PTT is
pushed.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Dennis-

I am trying to understand your problem. The IC-746 Po and SWR meters
would vary on SSB and be steady if you are transmitting on FM.

If you are transmitting on FM to an FM HT, you might be overloading the
HT. See if it makes any difference if you disconnect the HT's antenna.
Just do not transmit on the HT without its antenna!

73,
Fred
K4DII

It also sounds like there might be a PL/CTCSS tone set on the HT's
receiver, but not on the IC-746 transmitter. Dennis, you might want to
check to make sure all tones are turned off on the HT.

73,
Steve
KG4PEQ