Old February 6th 15, 03:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default FM for the Eddystone EA12?

"FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI" wrote in message
news
FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

I am sure every country has slightly differant rules. As I don't operate FM
below the 10 meter band I am not up on the current regulations in the US
where most of the stations I was hearing are at. At onetime in the US we
could use something like around 2 to 3 khz deviation on 80 meters I think .
That used to be called somethink like sliver band. Maybe still can.
However some of those on 3.85 MHz were way wider than that. I think that
below 30 MHz it is only on some portions of 10 meters that deviations as
wide as 5 KHz can be used in the US.

As I was saying above, I am not sure those AM / FM signals are legal in the
US, but don't really care. It is good that the hams have decided on a
frequency to meet and have fun with the old sets.

de KU4PT