Old February 6th 15, 05:14 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Spike[_3_] Spike[_3_] is offline

Default FM for the Eddystone EA12?

On 06/02/15 12:39, Jeff wrote:

FM has always been a legal mode for 80m in the UK, it's just that nobody
normally uses it intentionally.
Provided you're using no more bandwidth than normal AM I can't see a
problem.

Well perhaps not 'always'. FM was not allowed prior to about 1952.

There was an adaptation of the WS19 (I think it was the WS32) that used
FM instead of AM, to test the use of FM on the battlefield. I guess it
was unsuccessful or other considerations mitigated against it, because
it wasn't adopted in that form, but some manpack sets and WS19 candidate
replacements were FM. I think that only about 100 WS32 were made.

--
Spike

"Hard cases, it has frequently been observed, are apt to introduce bad
law". Judge Rolfe