Old February 8th 15, 10:16 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jeff[_18_] Jeff[_18_] is offline

Default FM for the Eddystone EA12?

Really? The only ex-emergency service radio I've seen with AM and FM was
the 'Whitehall' which, if memory serves, was a Low Band unit and useful
for 4m. I repaired on once, quite a beast, with a mass of cables to
connect the boot unit to the control box.

Later radios tended to be pretty standard PMR sets from the likes of
Storno.

Many forces used the Marconi R675 and the Burndept 544 series which were
am/fm, Cleartome also did some but I can't remember the numbers.

The 'Met' police did have a mix of AM and FM radios at one time but they
were different units. I think the AM sets were around 150MHz. FM was
just above 2m and UHF (450 or 460 ish). I think the cars, especially
those on traffic, used AM. Certainly the personal radios were UHF FM. I
knew someone who worked in the Met comms side.

The am/fm set up was VHF only, all UHF was fm. Some forces elected to go
with fm for there vhf scheme, but there was always one am channel
available so that 'visiting' force vehicles colud comminicate if they
were on am only.

I recall a major fire locally in 1990 or so when the police and fire
couldn't talk to each other at all via radio. In the end, they had a
couple of RAYNET people relaying messages between them, one was with the
senior fire officer the other with the senior police officer. The police
didn't even have enough radios for all of their officers and relied on
RAYNET.

Indeed there never was any compatibility between Police, Fire and
Ambulance main schemes. Fire was exclusively am on vhf and Ambulances,
as I recall, were fm. Every ambulance authority did have the ERC
(Emergency Reserve) Channel for compatibility with neighbouring areas.

Jeff