Old September 13th 03, 03:19 PM
Arcturus Apples

What your describing sounds alot like GeoCaching.

An already-established sport which I have participated in.
Finally, most if not all of the participants in this sport
also seem to be a younger and/or a college educated
clientele.

More about it at the link(s) below:

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://www.mdgps.net/

http://gpsinformation.net/

"Scott in Aztlan" wrote in message
Suppose you were participating in a search for a hidden radio

transmitter, only
instead of the usual radio receiver with a directional antenna you have a
receiver with an omnidirectional antenna and a GPS receiver. As you

wander
around, you collect positions from the GPS and signal strength values at

those
positions from the radio; your goal is to crunch these data points into

an
estimate of the transmitter's location.

Clearly you could use trilateration with any 3 of the data points and get

an
estimate, but how would you make use of the fact that you have an

arbitrary
number of data points? Isn't there some algorithm which, the more data

points it
is given, the better its estimate gets (similar to the way you can

average a
series of position readings taken from a stationary GPS receiver to

compensate
for the effects of SA)?

Thanks!

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.